map and walkthrough
Sanctuary is a MS-DOS adventure game and © 1989 by Conrad Button and ButtonWare, Inc.
This solution is by David Welbourn, and is based on the former shareware release of the game.
Note: Specific location names are not used in the game; the names of locations on these maps are my own invention,
based on the room descriptions.
Map 1: Seattle
Ø marks where the flying saucer can land.
indicates where the geiger counter clicks.
Map 2: Main Map
|—||N. of Spirit|
|go river↓↑n||go river↓↑n|
Map 3: Spirit Lake and Mount St. Helens
Ø (logs, paddle)
|Lava tube (1)|
|Lava tube (2)|
|Lava tube (3)|
|Lava tube (4)|
Map 4: Oregon Caves
Map 5: Wizard Island
I can't be bothered trying to figure out the exact setup of the maze, but if you follow the directions
on the note from the safe, you should have no trouble finding the Sanctuary.
CAUTION: Don't ever drop anything anywhere except on the beach when on Wizard Island. Kids steal your dropped
items and you'll never see them again.
What I've figured out:
- Your inventory limit is only TWO items until you pick up the pack board at Snoqualamie Pass.
Your limit with the pack board is TWELVE items.
- Drop the box when you have the ammo.
- Drop the baseball bat after you've hit the lone mutant with it.
- Drop the key after the boat house door is unlocked.
- LOAD RIFLE to remove the ammo from inventory.
- Drop the pumice after you've rubbed the trigger with it.
- Drop the chain saw after you've cut the logs.
- Drop the matches after you've both blown up the dynamite and made the camp fire.
- Drop the penetrating oil after you've poured it on the lugs.
- Drop the wrench after you've turned the lugs.
- Drop the note from the safe after you've read it.
- Drop the climbing axe at the base of the mountain after you've killed and taken the goat.
- You'll need the canoe and paddle after you have the radiation suit and access to the saucer,
not to get across the river, but to go across the lakes (Spirit and Crater).
You should drop them temporarily at either Spirit Lake or Crater Lake where you'll want them later.
- You need Rambeau to get rid of the gang of mutants, cattle, and wild dogs. After that, you can
drop him or take him to Sanctuary; the game doesn't seem to care if he gets there.
- You need the flashlight and the shoes for both the Oregon Caves and the lava tube.
You probably don't want to drop them until you're ready to get to Sanctuary itself.
- HIT MUTANT (with baseball bat) at Outside Locksmith's.
- The key from the Locksmith's can be used to unlock the boat house door.
It doesn't unlock the Hardware door in Portland.
- Seattle and Portland are hot zones; the geiger counter warns you. If you have the radiation suit, you're safe.
The radiation suit is in the Nuclear reactor control room.
- The flying saucer in Seattle's Pacific Science Center can take you to five locations:
crater lake, portland, seattle, spirit lake, walla walla.
None of these locations is solely accessible via saucer.
- You can light the dynamite with the matches. (But where? It did nothing for the logjam.)
- The radio in the radio station has a knob. TURN KNOB to learn the main quest:
- Get a rifle. (FOUND: Sporting Goods store in Seattle. LOAD RIFLE when you have ammo.
RUB TRIGGER with pumice so you can use it. SHOOT GOAT.)
- Get a sleeping bag. (FOUND: In old lava tube.)
- Get freeze-dried food. (FOUND: Bottom of chasm in Oregon Caves.)
- Get medical supplies. (FOUND: In Portland hospital. GET MED.)
- Get jeep tire. (FOUND: On jeep in Florence. Pour penetrating oil on the lugs. Turn the lugs with the wrench. Then GET TIRE.)
- Get safe combo from Polly in Eugene. (FOUND: Feed parrot with bisquit: "Try 3 39 46".)
- Get directions to the Sanctuary from the safe in southern Oregon. (FOUND: Safe is in pool at bottom of chasm
in Oregon Caves. UNLOCK SAFE. 3. 39. 46. LOOK. GET NOTE. READ NOTE.)
- Get you and all supplies to the Sanctuary. (NOTE: Sanctuary is on Wizard Island.
You must go EAST at the 1st fork, SOUTH at 2nd, EAST at 3rd, NORTH at 4t, and WEST at 5th.)
- With the canoe and paddle, you can GO RIVER at any river bank. Also, GO LAKE at lakes.
- You must GET BOX at Vancouver before you can OPEN BOX. There's ammo inside.
- PUMP FUEL at Richmond when you have the empty jug. The jug is now full of fuel.
(If you now POUR FUEL, you get a puddle of fuel.) Instead, FILL SAW.
- LIGHT FUSE when the dynamite is Outside Hardware. It turns the locked steel door into a hole.
- FILL SAW when you have the chain saw and the jug full of fuel. This gives you a chain saw ready to go and
the empty jug. START SAW to actually get the saw running.
- CUT LOGS with the running chain saw. This leaves wood. LIGHT WOOD to get a camp fire. Bring the ice there
and the ice melts and puts out the fire. LOOK: a climber's axe replaces the fire and ice. GET AXE.
- After the logs are gone, you can GO LAKE at Spirit Lake.
- In Spirit Lake, EXA CORPSE. GET FLASHLIGHT. GET CORPSE.
- RUB TRIGGER of the rifle when you have the pumice from Mount St. Helens to make the rifle usable again.
- The lava tube is dark; LIGHT FLASHLIGHT to see. (UNLIGHT FLASHLIGHT turns it off.)
- GO MOUNTAIN at Mount Rainier works if you have both the axe and rope.
- You have no trouble with SHOOT GOAT, but inventory limit might be annoying. GET (dead) GOAT.
- GIVE BEER to Rambeau. (Now he wants food!) GIVE GOAT. Now he's your friend and "allie"! GET RAMBEAU.
- If you have Rambeau, he massacres the gang of mutants as soon as you walk into their location.
Rambeau also makes short work of the cattle. Also he gets rid of the dogs.
- The penetrating oil can be picked up without any concern that it's a liquid.
- At the jeep: POUR OIL. LUGS. TURN TUGS (with wrench). DROP WRENCH. TAKE TIRE.
- Make sure you have both the flashlight and the tennis shoes before entering the lava tube.
You need the flashlight to see, and the shoes to escape. The sleeping bag is at the end of the tube.
- TIE ROPE to stalagmite (not the stalactite!) then GO ROPE to get to the bottom of the chasm.
Don't untie the rope; it'll fall into the chasm.
- Don't take Rambeau into Seattle or Portland; he doesn't have a rad suit, and the radiation will make him
- GO GATE at clearing in center of Wizard Island maze to win the game.
- The sign at Walla Walla is just a greetings from the author.
Likewise the boulder at north side of Crater Lake.
Ways to die and other no-nos:
- GO SPILLWAY when in the Reservoir will destroy the canoe, but you'll survive and land at the bank
closest to the power house.
- DROP anything on Wizard Island. Items dropped in the path-maze are immediately stolen by kids.
- LIGHT DYNAMITE when it's not placed properly will lose the dynamite.
- UNTIE ROPE from stalagmite will lose the rope; it falls into the chasm.
- You can entrap yourself inside the lava tube if you don't have tennis shoes. The exit up is slippery.
- Continuing SOUTH on the "I sense danger" Path on Wizard Island. You break a trip wire
and a laser beam kills you.
- Walk into Seattle or Portland without the radiation suit. The radiation kills you.
- HIT CATTLE at Eugene starts a stampede. You die.
- HIT DOGS at Walla Walla. They tear you apart.
- HIT MUTANTS likewise is certain death.
- GO LADDER without shoes kills you.
- GO CHASM kills you.
- GO HOLE at top of lava dome kills you.
What I haven't figured out:
- Can we go down the chasm via rope tied to stalCTites safely in Oregon Caves?
- What happens if we get to the Sanctuary without all requested equipment?
- Can we GO FENCE there?
- I assume HIT GUARD or KILL GUARD will kill us, but we should make sure.