The Path to Fortune
The Path to Fortune a.k.a. The Windhall Chronicles, Volume 1
was written in Inform and is © [YEAR] by [AUTHORS].
This solution is by David Welbourn, and is based on the Version [VERSION] of the game.
Map 1: Windhall and surrounding area
Map 2: Visiting the wizard
|↓enter laundry||↑solve model|
- twine @ Mielon and Idah's House. > take twine.
[The twine can be tied to the boomerang. The twine slides off the quarterstaff.]
- wastebasket @ Sir Gunther's House. > take wastebasket.
- piece of metal @ Borthur's Smithy. > take metal.
- hammer @ Borthur's Smithy. >. take hammer.
- habba nuts @ Baezil's Bakery. > ask baezil about nuts. take nuts.
- light dough @ Baezil's Bakery. > mold light dough into bun.
- dark dough @ Baezil's Bakery. > mold dark dough into tube.
- boomerang @ Ivy Coast (1). > search vines. take boomerang.
- gold nugget @ Mires. > say if. take nugget. w. say world.
@ Small Glen. > put nugget on pedestal. [+2; the ray of light is now focused.]
- blue stone @ Swampy Grasslands. > search grass. take blue stone.
- green stone @ Forest of Anselon. > give nuts to squirrel. take green stone.
- egg @ Nook. > take egg.
- dark dagger @ Kytan's Trading Post. > give egg to Kytan. take dagger. [+1]
Denvil has nothing to say about it.
- sun dagger @ Small Glen. > put dark dagger in ray. [Note: only works if the ray is wide. Do this when
the nugget isn't on the pedestal.
- sword @ Grassy Glen. > yell. ask Midknight about sword. [+1]
ask Midknight about displacer beast. [+2; learn how to fight them (but not how to see them).]
- broken stone @ Mountain Base.
- quarterstaff @ Foothills.
- 12 Renkin @ Borthur's Smithy. > ask Borthur FOR gold. [+1]
- potion @ Creston's Shop. > buy potion. take potion. [+1. CAUTION: It will cost all of your Renkin.]
- worm @ Ivy Coast (3). > pour potion on vines. [+4] take worm.
- lantern @ Kytan's Trading Post. > buy lantern [+1; cost is 5 Renkin.]
- keys @ Kytan's Trading Post. > search junk. buy keys. [+1; cost is 2 Renkin. Possibly for shed?]
- board @ Abandoned Shed. [after shed collapses] > x boards. take board.
- tinder box and rusty nail @ Abandoned Shed. [after shed collapses] > search boards. take box and nail.
- hook > bend nail into hook. [+4]
- new shovel > ask Borthur about head. give board to Borthur. [+3]
- idol @ Denvil's House. [He wants seafood for it.]
- yell @ Grassy Glen to summon Midknight. [Does this only work at night?]
- You're hungry at 1pm.
- Kytan's shop is initially locked. Kytan unlocks his shop at 1:30pm.
- Denvil locks up at 3pm.
- Creston locks up at 6:00pm.
- The Mayor's house locks up at 6:30pm.
- Night falls at 7pm.
- Solaria (a white moon) rises at 8pm.
- Lunaria (a red moon) rises at 10pm.
- Baezil and Gunther lock their doors at 11pm. You also begin to tire at 11pm.
- 2nd Tired warning at 11:30pm.
- 3rd Weary at 12:00am. Also, moons converge in the sky, forming an Eye.
- Sleep in your bed. Borthur wakes you at 5:30am. If you sleep at Glen, you wake at 8am.
- Rub blue stone with green stone -> creates a brief floating spark that improves your eyesight.
By itself, it's not quite strong enough to reveal the displacer beast.
Also, the spark is not a true lightsource; it doesn't light up Kytan's basement.
- Enter the laundry basket @ Mielon's to get to Back Room and Tower. Ask wizard about magic to get to First Test.
- >ask wizard about glen //
"The glen has been blessed by magic. It is a sacred place and can undo that which has been done by others. This is its purpose, which was instilled long ago."
- >unlock shed with keys. [+2; the shed collapses, except for the door.]
- First Test: put sword in spot. take rope. tie rope to sword. pull rope. take sword. take rope. e. [+4]
- Second Test: throw rope at barbarian. take rope. e. [+4]
- Third Test:
- throw boomerang (with twine) at lord @ Old Cave. [+6] take gem. take boomerang.
- To kill the displacer beast: You need the handful of tinder, green stone, blue stone, and sword, all directly in your hands.
If the handful of tinder is in the tinderbox when you catch the spark, it's no good.
The tinder burns up very quickly; you can't waste a single turn after making the magical light.
Hit green stone with blue stone. Take spark with tinder. Kill beast with sword.