Key & Compass presents:
Catventure is a Glulx interactive fiction game written with Inform 7 and is © 2019 by sleepy macaw.
In this small silly game, you are a housecat bored with life in the village of Nafurville. You plan to seek your fortune in Chipawgo, which is far more exciting. But how to get there?
This solution is by David Welbourn, and is based on Release 1 of the game.
SPOILERS AHEAD. Reading a walkthrough prematurely can sometimes diminish one's enjoyment of an interactive fiction game. Please make an honest effort to play the game before reading this walkthrough.
> x me. x entrance. x bed. x chair. x lady.
> x photos. x endtable. x phone. use phone.
> x litter box. use box.
> x cupboard. open it. x cans. x matches.
> x bowl. eat food. x bookcase. x Laser. x Pies.
> x Karate. read it. (You now have karate skills!)
This is the most acceptable way to get the door open:
> hit door. n.
CAUTION: If you climb the tree, you'll be stuck up there.
> x tree. x squirrel.
> talk to squirrel. chase squirrel.
> x river. x turtle. x grass.
> talk to turtle. (He wants something fancy.)
> w. w.
By the way, the white cat will be upset with you if you killed the old lady or set her on fire.
> x shop. enter shop. (closed)
> x clothing. enter it. x dress. x shoes. x hat.
> x saloon. enter it. (nope)
> x cat. talk to cat. g. g. g. g. g. (She recites random passages from Wikipedia.)
The turtle won't want a can of Fancy Feast, but he will accept a fancy hat or a fancy cat. Pick one:
- > hit window. take hat.
- > take cat.
> e. e.
This is a one-way trip.
> give hat to turtle —or— give cat to turtle. (as appropriate)
> hop on turtle —or— climb turtle.
> talk to turtle. e.
> x cars. s. (too far to walk)
> x barn. x horse. x cows.
> talk to horse. talk to cows. (They don't understand you.)
Oddly, neither "get on horse" nor "climb horse" work as expected here.
> ride horse. (You gallop to Chipawgo and freedom.)
*** The End ***
- The player-character is a cat. The collage of photos tells us that you're called "Mr. FluffyPotato".
- An old lady is your owner. She's asleep in her rocking chair.
- A squirrel is in the yard north of your owner's hut. It looks delicious.
- A turtle is in the river. He wants something fancy.
- A white cat is on Main Street. She's very pretty.
- A horse is in the farm's barn. It doesn't speak cat.
- Some cows are on the farm. Cows say moo.
- The travelers in the cars gawp at you as you ride the horse.
- The End (losing endings)
- If, when in the hut, you light anything other than the sleeping old lady with the matches. You'll be cooked in the resulting heat.
- If you climb the tree in the yard, you are stuck there.
- If you attack the turtle, it bites off your paw and you bleed to death.
- If you attack or climb the cars on the highway, you are squished.
- The End (winning ending)
- If you ride the horse, you gallop to Chipawgo.
Since you're a cat, you can only carry one thing at a time.
- a collage of photos. It's in the hut.
- Examine it to learn your name is Mr. FluffyPotato.
- a telephone. It's on the endtable in the hut.
- You can USE PHONE or CALL, but the phone doesn't help you.
- a bowl. It's in the hut and contains cat food.
- You can try to eat the food, but you don't really want it right now.
- You can use the bowl as a player's carry-all, and put all your other possible inventory items into it. Is this cheating?
- some cans of Fancy Feast. They're in the hut's cupboard.
- You can't open them, even with karate skills. Nor does the turtle want them.
- a box of matches. It's in the hut's cupboard.
- If you light the old lady on fire with the matches while she sleeps, she'll run screaming from the hut, kicking the door open. This is an alternate way to solve the hut's locked door puzzle.
- CAUTION: If you light anything else in the hut, you'll die from the heat as the entire hut catches fire.
- Laser Cats VII. This book is in the bookcase in the hut.
- Minced Meat Pies of Tomorrow. This book is in the bookcase in the hut.
- You can ignore this one too.
- a Mastering the Art of Karate in 5 Easy Steps. This book is in the bookcase in the hut.
- Read it to gain karate skills!
- Attack the hut's door with karate to open it.
- Attack the window on Main Street to gain access to the clothing on display.
- If you now attack the old lady with karate, she'll die.
- a white cat. She's on Main Street.
- Talk to the cat. If you didn't harm the old lady in any way, and committed no other crime, the cat recites random paragraphs from Wikipedia. Otherwise, she calls you a criminal and goes to the yard.
- At river west, give the cat to the turtle. You may now hop on the turtle for a one-way trip across the river. (Alternatively, give the hat to the turtle.)
- a dress. On Main Street, it's behind the clothing store window.
- Break the window to access the dress (see karate book), but you don't need it.
- some shoes. On Main Street, they're behind the clothing store window.
- Break the window to access the shoes (see karate book), but you don't need them.
- a top hat. On Main Street, it's behind the clothing store window.
- Break the window to access the hat; see karate book.
- At river west, give the hat to the turtle. You may now hop on the turtle for a one-way trip across the river. (Alternatively, give the white cat to the turtle.)
- cows. They're on the farm.
- Obviously, this is a bug. Leave the cows alone. You cannot milk them nor ride them.
Thank You to my Patreon supporters
This walkthrough is provided free of charge since the work it's based on has less than fifteen locations. Please consider it a thank you for your support!
I create larger walkthroughs too! Please visit my Patreon account if you're interested in helping me create more interactive fiction walkthroughs. I appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks again.
Ko-Fi is a way to send me small one-time donations. Every little bit helps, and thank you!