- I believe there is a single objective material reality in which we all
exist and have our subjective experiences.
- I believe in a functionalist model of the mind. Furthermore, I
believe the brain is a deterministic Turing machine. If it were possible
at any instant to determine the current state of the mind and all its inputs,
then I believe we could determine its precise output in a rule-like
fashion. Therefore, I believe free will is an illusion. However, the input and
state spaces are so vast and complex that they are impossible to determine
by current scientific methods. Until this is possible, I believe free will
is a good assumption on which to base a moral system.
- I believe in the value of human life, and the value of the quality of
human life. I believe that material, intellectual and emotional
satisfaction are essential for the quality of human life.
- I believe that civilisation has objectively improved the quality of
human life, and that in spite of all its atrocities, the course of
civilisation has been to improve the quality of human life. I believe
civilisation is essential and worth defending.
- I believe that the course of civilisation should be to improve human
life still further. I believe civilisation should aim towards a state in
which every human has the best possible quality of life, and the best
possible quality of life is ensured for future generations. I believe this
will not happen inevitably, but only through conscious and deliberate
- I believe that any system which depends on depriving some humans of
their quality of life, such as the capitalist system, is a bad system. I
believe that in depriving some of their quality of life, such a system
reduces the quality of life for all.
- I believe that a beautiful, safe and comfortable living environment is
essential for the quality of life. Any system which deprives humans of
such an environment is a bad system.
- I believe that good food, good health, space and shelter are essential
and sufficient for material satisfaction. Any system which deprives humans
of these things deprives them of their quality of life.
- I believe truth, beauty, friendship, knowledge and safety are
essential for intellectual and emotional satisfaction. Any system which
deprives humans of these things deprives them of their quality of life.
- I believe in reason as the best way to uncover truth.
- I believe in the scientific method as the best way to expand our
knowledge and explain reality.
- I believe in my friends and in the value of friendship. A life without
the constant friendship of other human beings is a tragic life.
- I believe in the furthering of knowledge for its own sake.
One of the most noble acts a living thing can do is to understand
its existence and the reality it lives in. I believe the proudest
achievement of humanity is that we understand so much of our existence.
- I believe in the value of the diversity of living things. I believe
civilisation should ensure that this diversity is maintained.
- I believe in the value of art and beauty, and art for its own sake.
I believe the value of art cannot and must not be measured in material